We’re only a few days away from SummerBand 2022! We’re super excited to see you at next week! Please read the information below carefully.
Remember that we will be meeting at COBB Middle School August 1-3, from 5-7 pm each evening. You will want to enter through the cafeteria doors on the north side of the building and look for signs as to where to go. Please bring your instrument, music (info below), PENCIL, and music stand from home if possible. (8th graders, you may want to bring your flip folder/lyre. 7th graders, more info on that later!) If you are out of town these days please let me know.
It is tradition for us to have theme nights during SummerBand:
- Monday, August 1 – Hawaiian Day (Cobb MS, 5-7 pm)
- Tuesday, August 2 – Crazy Sock Day (Cobb MS, 5-7 pm)
- Wednesday, August 3 – School Spirit Day and… POPSICLE night! (Cobb MS, 5-7 pm)
- Thursday, August 4 – Back2Band Swim party (Frisco Athletic Center 4-6 pm – note the earlier time!)
- *Bring $11 admission; Cash is easiest!
- * Must attend SummerBand rehearsals to attend the swim party
Please check to see that you have all of your pep band music printed before you come to SummerBand next week. Most of you had most of this music last spring, but please check. They’re the little half-sheet pieces. Here’s what you need:
- The New and Improved Griffin Fight Song
- The Hey Song!
- Crunch Time
- Land of 1000 Dances
- Oye Como Va
- Eye of the Tiger
- Push It
- Rah Rah Rah
All of these are available for you to print at THIS LINK. ***Before you try to print PLEASE READ***
- You must be logged into your FISD student Google account to access the links. I CANNOT grant access to other email addresses. Please do not send requests to access – if you are logged in correctly, you will have access!
- Find the correct page for your instrument within the file and select to ONLY print the page you need! Otherwise you’ll end up printing all of the parts and wasting your paper and ink! (If you do end up doing this by accident, please bring your extra copies to school – we can help share them with others who might be able to use them).
Not required before SummerBand, but if you want to get a jump on things for the start of school…
For this fall each Concert and Symphonic Band member will need to purchase a flip folder for your Pep Band music. Flute players will need a flute lyre/flip folder LIKE THIS (available at most music stores or from Amazon). All other band members will need a standard flip folder LIKE THIS. These will be needed by the second week of school. I do have a few flip folders that I can give out, if needed – see Mrs. Cansler when school starts.
Students who play clarinet, saxophone, trumpet, or trombone will also need a lyre for their instrument. If you look up “Marching Band Lyre clarinet” (specific to your child’s instrument) you should be able to find this. It may be easier to stop by the music store to pick up these items as well – Williamson Music 1st carries all of this, but I am not sure what they have in stock currently. Trombone and Trumpet players, you might bring your instrument or a picture of your instrument so that the workers might help ensure you are purchasing the correct thing for YOUR instrument. Horn, Euphonium and Tuba students may also need these, but they are more specific to the instrument, so you should wait on purchasing a lyre until your instrument is assigned for this school year. Oboe, bassoon, and percussion students will not need a lyre. These will be needed by September.
Finally, all 7th grade students will need to purchase the book Foundations for Superior Performance by Jeff King and Richard Williams. *Please make sure you order the correct book for your instrument!* 8th graders should already have this book from last year. You will only need to purchase a new one if you have misplaced yours from last year. We will begin using this book the second week of school.
Our Band Registration Rally currently scheduled to be held on Monday, August 22nd at 6 pm at Griffin. We will talk about some of the expectations and plans for this coming year, and our 7th and 8th grade students will get a chance to perform for you the music they worked on at SummerBand and in the first few days of school!
More information about the year will be forthcoming, but please mark your calendars for these events! We’re so excited to get started!